Friday 22 November 2013

The Battle of Sleep vs. Looking Great

Sleep. The word every student loves. Every student knows sleep is one of the most important things during their university life. And it is only when we start university that we realise this! (Also day time naps are appreciated a lot more!) Every extra minute we have in bed is a blessing. However, us girls don't have it as simple as guys who can roll out of bed at the last minute and throw on a pair of jeans and a jumper and still look good. We have so much more to think about! Our hair and make- up! 

There are those dreaded mornings during winter where the thoughts of doing your make- up is the last thing on your mind. All you want to do is crawl back under your toasty blankets and drift back to sleep. This was all I wanted to do this morning the minute I hopped out of bed and the freezing cold hit me! So I rushed around and got dressed, made coffee, checked emails and after all this I sat down and looked in the mirror. What I saw was a face with the expression of "do I have to?" written all across it. Now don't get me wrong, I love make- up and applying it but I'm not it's biggest fan at 7am when it's still dark outside. And so that leads me to how I got the inspiration to write this post. I wanted to show you ways that you can look your best but in the fastest way possible! So you won't have to suffer, but at the end look amazing and ready to take on the day! Plus when you have fully woken up, you will be thanking your sleepy self for doing this. 

This is also great for those mornings where you only have 10- 15 minutes to get ready!


  • After I had *cleansed and moisturised, I applied my foundation. I like to use MAC Pro Longwear Foundation, colour NC15, it lasts the whole day and gives enough coverage without being looking caked on. I hate it when it looks like you could scrap the make- up off you face. This foundation leaves a quiet natural finish. I apply this with a MAC 187 brush.



  • After this I apply a few dots MAC Pro Longwear Concealer, NC15, under my eyes and blend to give them a fresher appearance. Also great if you're lacking sleep from study, makes you look like you've got your 8 hours!



  • If I have any blemishes, I like to use MAC Studio Finish Concealer, NC15. I apply this using the tip of my ring finger. I don't like using brushes when applying concealer as it could spread the blemish.



  • I then set my foundation using MAC Prep+ Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, which is great for taking away any shiny areas and also makes my make- up all day, even after all that running to and from lectures. I never have to worry about touch ups.  



  • This all takes around 5- 6 minutes and now you have plenty of time to decide if you want to do your eyes or lips. For me when I'm rushing a good tip is to pick 2 features which you want to accentuate. So you could pick from eyebrows/ eyes/ cheeks. But this morning I picked my eyebrows and lips.



  • I naturally have big eyebrows, and I don't wax them (once a few years ago and never again!). So I lightly filled them in using the eyebrow set from Catrice Cosmetics. This is really handy set to have as it gives you 2 colours, has a small mirror and also comes with a tiny eyebrow comb and tweezers. Remember when filling in your eyebrows that they are sisters, not twins! And try and avoid the 'scouse brow'! It's better to have a more natural finish.



  • I recently purchased Rimmel's lasting finish by Kate Moss in colour 08 Rossetto. It is a beautiful nude mixed with a hint of pink. Perfect for daytime wear. It applies evenly and it lasted throughout the day, only needing a touch up after I'd eaten.



  • To finish off my look I used 'They're Real!' mascara by Benefit. This adds instant length and volume without having to wear false lashes!

This is me before coffee!

So this took me in total 10 minutes to complete and with 5 minutes to spare I simply tied my hair up, spritzed some perfume and headed to my lectures. 
I hope this helps! and that you will all be looking amazing throughout the entire day!
Shhh... no one needs to know you only had 5 hours sleep, it'll be our little secret ;)


*If you want to find out more about the cleanser and moisturiser I use, read about them here!

2 comments:

  1. What a WONDERFUL post:) your blog is such a great inspiration source

    Check out my new post...a Divine Swedish chocolate recipy:)

    Have a fab weekend dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - Swedish decor, food, and fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Such a lovely thing to say! x

      Delete